TOPEKA - Fire destroyed a detached garage are a home near Topeka early this morning.
Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender says the occupants of the home woke to the sound of small explosions from tires or gas cans just before 1 a-m at 7060 West County Road 665 South.
The occupants were outside the home when Topeka Firefighters arrived. The 22-by-32 foot garage was fully engulfed and just five feet from the home. They had the fire under control in about 20 minutes. Damage to the home was limited to the siding and some insulation in the attic.
Bender thinks the fire was caused by a heat lamp used to keep goats warm which caught some straw on fire.
No one was injured.
Shipshewana firefighters and Parkview medics assisted at the scene.